The WAEMU Commission, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), in collaboration with the Ministry of Planning and Development of Côte d’Ivoire through the École Nationale Supérieure de Statistique et d’Économie Appliquée (ENSEA), are organising an international conference on the promotion of gender equality for accelerated economic growth in the community space.
The theme is: GENDER EQUALITIES FOR ACCELERATED GROWTH IN THE UEMOA ZONE: How to go about it?
The general objective of the conference is to promote the taking into account of gender considerations and inclusion in public policies design and implementation, and ultimately, an acceleration of growth in the community space.
This will be done by providing a platform for exchanges between public administration officials from relevant sectors, civil society actors, the private sector and researchers. It is expected that the results of the research will be appropriated by public policy makers on the one hand, and on the other hand, that the scientific community will become more aware of the major public policy issues of the day.
Specifically, it will involve
- For experts to exchange with public policy makers on a number of innovative results anchored in the local context;
- To better understand the needs and expectations of public policy makers and the operational constraints inherent to the conduct of public action;
- To exchange on the importance of planning and statistical production in taking into account gender in public policies;
- Raise awareness among stakeholders on the various areas of application of the gender approach in a perspective of sustained growth and sustainable and inclusive development;
- Inform decision-making for the management of gender-sensitive public policies in the WAEMU region through the production of conference proceedings clearly stating the opportunities and options in this area.
The expected results of this conference are as follows:
- Public policy makers have developed a better understanding of gender equality and inclusion issues surrounding public action as a vector for accelerated growth and sustainable development;
- The scientific community has a better understanding of the expectations and constraints of policy makers;
- Recommendations for better planning, production and management of statistical data for gender mainstreaming in public policies are formulated;
- Stakeholders at the workshop gain a better understanding of the various fields of application of the gender approach;
- Proceedings of the conference for the management of gender-sensitive public policies are produced in order to inform decision-making in the WAEMU region.
This conference will bring together public administration executives from relevant sectors, active civil society and private sector actors, and researchers who have produced analyses on the role of gender in development management in West Africa. Representatives of technical and financial partners will also be invited to share their experience and explore opportunities for collaboration and partnership. Among others, the following structures can be counted:
- The Ministries in charge of Gender, Economy, Finance and Planning of each WAEMU Member State
- The Confederation of Large Enterprises of Côte d’Ivoire (CGECI);
- The Commission of the National Assembly of Côte d’Ivoire in charge of gender promotion;
- The following institutions: UNECA, ILO, AD, BOAD;
- The National Institute of Statistics of Côte d’Ivoire;
The activity will be essentially interactive. It is planned to hold exchange sessions based on the results of research conducted by experts from the WAEMU space and on the practical experience of public policy makers at national, regional and community level.
Read the concept note for more details Concept note to final 19.10.21