ENSEA, Centre of Excellence launches a call for applications for the recruitment of the third cohort of doctoral thesis students for the 2020 – 2021 academic year.
1. BACKGROUND AND RATIONALE
The Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Statistique et d’Economie Appliquée of Abidjan (ENSEA) is a National Public Institution (NPI) of Higher Education and Research, labeled Centre of Excellence by the World Bank.
Within the framework of strengthening research at ENSEA and in partner schools, the Centre of Excellence has opened a Doctoral Training in Statistics and Applied Economics. The mission of the Doctoral School is to promote training for and through research in four priority areas with direct or indirect effects on socio-economic development.
These are as follows:
- (i) Quantitative Economics
- (ii) Statistics and Social Sciences
- (iii) Statistics and Public Health, and
- (v) Statistical Methodology
2. CANDIDATES PROFILE
The candidate must have a quantitative profile. He/she must hold a Master’s degree in research, a diploma in design engineering or any other diploma recognised by the CAMES (African and Malagasy Council on Higher Education) as conferring a Master’s degree, at the end of a training course with honours and establishing the aptitude for research.
3. APPLICATION FILE
3.1 Contents of the application :
- A letter of motivation addressed to the Director of ENSEA ;
- A recent detailed curriculum vitae (CV);
- A copy of the A-level diploma;
- A certified copy of the diplomas obtained after the A-level diploma and transcripts, and any other documentary evidence that may support the application;
- A thesis research project of no more than five (5) pages clearly indicating the title, the problem, the objectives, the analysis approach, a review of the literature, the hypotheses and the expected results as well as the corresponding bibliographical references. Particular attention will be paid to the quality of writing of the proposed research topic and its relevance to the research interests of ACE researchers;
- Two (2) letters of recommendation that can justify the student’s research capacity (preferably two letters from lecturer-researchers qualified to supervise a thesis);
- A letter of supervision justifying that the student has a Thesis Director.
3.2 Application files submission
Applications including all certified documents shall be received exclusively by electronic means at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please mention in the subject line “application for the recruitment of doctoral students”.
The deadline for the applications submission is 24 April 2020.
For further information, please go to ENSEA, office 802 or contact the following numbers:
- Tel: (225) 22 44 08 42
- Cel: (225) 08 62 64 36
- Website: www.ensea.ed.ci
4. SELECTION PROCEDURE
The selection will be made in two phases. The first phase is an analysis of the application files on the basis of which a shortlist of preselected candidates will be drawn up. The second phase will consist of an oral interview with the candidates selected at the end of the first phase. A telephone interview (via Skype or any other means of communication) will be organised for candidates residing outside Côte d’Ivoire.
Candidates declared admitted at the end of the second phase of selection will participate in the doctoral training with possible financial support from the Doctoral School. In addition, doctoral students may seek additional funding for the conduct of their research work.
5. COURSE OF TRAINING
Teaching is provided by ENSEA lecturer-researchers and by professors from partner universities. The training will focus on tools and advanced techniques on statistical and economic analysis. The theoretical and applied training aimed at building the capacities of young researchers in doctoral thesis will take place over nine (9) months. The doctoral thesis project will be written and defended over a period not exceeding three (3) months. The duration of the doctoral training is three (3) years at the end of which a public defence before a jury of internal and external professors of ENSEA will be organized.
NB : Save the dates
- Deadline for preselection file submission by email: 24 April 2020, 6 PM
- Announcement of the preselection results for participation in the interviews: 22 May 2020
- Candidate interviews: 16 June 2020
- Announcement of results: Early August 2020
- Beginning of the training: October 2020
Incomplete applications will be systematically rejected.