ENSEA of Abidjan opened a specialisation course in Finance and Actuarial Sciences in 1999 in the third year of its “Senior Statistician-Economist” (ISE) Division. This Master’s degree is a double degree open to students in the ISE programme of ENSEA, as well as those in the HEA programme of INP-HB. Students who have chosen this course will receive the double diploma at the end of their training: the Senior Statistician-Economist Diploma (ISE) and the Diploma of Actuarial Sciences of ISFA, Lyon.
The implementation of this project is articulated around 3 axes:
- Strengthening initial training in Finance and Actuarial Services:
- Setting up a double curriculum in the Ivorian training system for obtaining the Master in Actuarial Sciences in partnership with the ISFA of Lyon
- Covering international standards set by the International Actuarial Association
- Meeting the specific needs of the banking and insurance sectors in West and Central Africa
2.The development of a continuing education offer in finance and actuarial sciences:
This involves making training available to private individuals, national insurance departments and private individuals.
- Continuing training leading to a diploma
- Short training leading to a certificate
3. The development of research on financial and actuarial issues:
It involves setting up a framework making it possible to identify the issues peculiar to Africa, to find answers, and to systematically popularize the solutions developed via the lessons and by the offer of expertise services.
ENSEA is working with several partners to implement this project:
- Technical partners: A partnership has been signed with ENSAE ParisTech and ISFA Lyon for support in initial and continuing training
- Private Institutions: ENSEA is in discussion with insurance groups for the financing of initial training
- The INPHB School of Higher Studies in Insurance
The double degree will take place over 4 semesters.
The first 2 semesters end with an actuarial internship exposing the student to actuarial issues (Insurance Department of the Ministry of Economy, Insurance and Reinsurance Companies, Social Security Institutes, Banks and Financial Services, Actuarial Consulting Firm).
The third and fourth semesters will be devoted to learning actuarial techniques. During the last semester, the students in groups of two will have to carry out works which will be evidenced by the defence of an actuarial thesis. Students from HEA Yamoussoukro will join the programme for the 4th and 5th semesters instead of their 3rd year internship in a company.
The conditions for obtaining the double diploma:
- Validate the ENSEA diploma of Senior Statistician-Economist or the HEA diploma of Engineer.
- Validate the diploma of the partner schools, particularly the actuarial master of the ISFA of Lyon.
- Validate the actuarial dissertation, i.e. a minimum mark of 12/20.
- Obtain a minimum mark of 8/20 in each of the specific subjects of the actuarial curriculum.
- Pass an international English test, notably the TOEIC, or the TOEFL. The minimum score is set at 60%.